Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Review: Kyle Kinane - Death of the Party

I would like to preface this review by stating that I was present at the recording of this album and I have fond memories of that night. I was first in line for a sweet show at the UCB in LA and I got the best seat in the house. So I may skew a little extra favourably of this recording.

It finally arrived in the mail 2 weeks after it was released, and so I am stoked to review this. I don't think there's enough buzz for a clearly talented performer. I find Kyle's cynical, wry, self-deprecating conversational style very engaging. I really enjoy when a comic's best material is from personal stories, the context and narrative is very fulfilling.

Kyle masterfully relates his material to the audience on a variety of topics ranging from uncomfortable bathroom encounters to face-fucking bunnies, and really achieves a personal relationship with the audience. He flips over all the rocks and lets his doubts and fears out, and achieves a remarkable conversational/confessional style that I found extremely easy to relate to.

He relates an arts education to a parachute made of pasta,
and he is really adept at applying depth to every situation and idea, so that the audience is with him all the way and looking for every curve and bump in the ride, knowing that there's a never-ending supply of laughs.

Does that sound enough like a regular, stupid review? I think so. I'm not sure if it sounds pretentious enough yet. Alternative. Seriously, Kyle Kinane gets me, and I'm with him all the way. This is quickly one of my favourite comedy albums. Its an accurate representation of a single night's performance, which can be like lightning in a bottle. Transcendent. Beards. Sufjan Stevens. Kurt Vonnegut.

5 Stars out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment